08 October 2007

working schedule of a volunteer

While waiting for the car today after the workshop, I had time to speak to two of the volunteers that are now on the best way to become "Trainers". Meaning they are the ones that are facilitating the workshops. I still have a lot to do (incl. evaluating their sessions and giving feedback), but I do not have to facilitate sessions here in Lusaka! An amazing work has been done (before I came to Zambia). 7 volunteers are going to be soon certified as Trainers! They do great. There is this and that, but I am not sure if I would do better!

Ok, back to the story I wanted to tell you. Amos and Cecilia are working since 1999 for a community schools. Meaning a school were kids have not to pay a school fee (what many can not affort...). They are working there as a volunteers! From 7 - 12am is the first shift. Until 18hours the second, and in the eveing he is giving classes for adults (reading, writing,...). Once at home, he has to prepare the next day...

In total they are now 4 teachers at that school. Each has in a class at least 35 kids. When Amos and Cecilia are not at the school (i.e. joining a RTP activity) the other teachers take over their classes as well. 70 kids...

The school was founded by a small church. They have some benches, but no tables and now more and more kids are sitting actually on the floor. In addition they do not now if they are going to be able to continue, as there are some staff changes at the churche.

I am thinking about the schools, I went to in Switzerland. I am thinking about the kids, I was teaching and the support I had, the facilities, and the complains from the kids...
I am thinking how I could support their work. Right now I have the feeling that I am adding work. Right now I have the feeling that I can do nothing, that there are too many community schools here in Zambia with the exact same problem.

Ok, I am tired. Was the whole day in Chikumbi. A rural community... oh, have to continue writing another time, get a lift home...

lots of hugs
Miriam

1 comment:

la fée verte said...

hang in there sweetie! life isn't fair but you're doing your best to help so feel good about yourself!! i'm proud of you! big hugs

Website counter