27 November 2007

social butterfly

hi you!
had tonight dinner at an Indian restaurant together with a guy from Uganda and a Zambian. Was quite a nice cultural experience. The choice was hugh and all the three of us were a little bit lost. So we got some advices from our Zambian server. It was very funny. Imagine a Zambian accent (replace r with l and put an eee at the endeee of mosteee of the woldeees). Imagine a guy who has no idea where India is and who tries to explain Indianeeee foodeee. The boneless muttoneee with lice and vegtable, is here an Zambia: goateee with lice (delicious by the way). Everything took lots of time (he run for each questions into the restaurant as we sat outside)

I loved the food, but my two colleagues had some trouble with the spices. Specially Joe, who did not take my warning about the green stuff serious. I only could prevent him to drink lots of water afterwards... so much about the business dinner I had today.

Found a text that I wrote on the 15.11.07 when I was in the North of Zambia:

It’s raining. Beautiful noise. Plitschplatsch outside in the court, where waterfalls come from the roof. On the other side of my room, a schschschsch noise comes in. only the wind is changing the rhythm of strong falling rain. I am in my bed, playing the spider card game on the computer. Just back from the hospital. Malaria test is negative. I am not surprised but relieved nevertheless. Good to have no doubts anymore. Just got a cold, typical for me in situation like I was on Tuesday. Exhausted from work, not lots of fruits and vegetables the last weeks, tired because I got up at 4am, sweating because of the heat, traveling with open windows,… yep, so when we arrived in Kawambwa my nose was running. My “beloved” guesthouse in Kawambwa is not really a place where things get better. Working hard in the morning (nose running more and more) in order to get ready for the workshop. Translations, coping,… and than traveling again. Hot, rain, cold, open windows,… when we arrived at the guesthouse in Mporokoso I was shivering. Fever! The guesthouse however is a nice surprise. 45’000 Kwacha (11$) for a nice room, with TV (who wants to watch ZNBC???) and a nice bathroom. Bed is comfortable and has a mosquito net. Everything is clean and nicely painted. I just asked for another cover, because I was freezing. Not hungry at all I tried to get warm in my bed while the others went for dinner. I spend the day today in my bed, the others went to the meetings with UNHCR, HODI ( a local NGO) and the district coordinator (or something like that). In addition they went to the refugee camp to get the workshop (starts on Monday) organized and the meetings on equipment tomorrow. I was not really needed. Perfect timing for a break that it seems I really need. Just a pity that the DVD I bought on Tuesday somewhere between Lusaka and Kawambwa (from one of those guys that surround the car as soon as we stop at a petrol station) is not working.

The rain is less strong now. Somebody started to listen to music, I just hear the bass. Back to my game. Hugs (that only will get posted in 12 days)

2hours later: What is worse, taking those Malaria pills everyday, or getting Malaria 1 or 2 a year? Chirambo and Ken brought me to the hospital. I asked them how many times they had Malaria. They just laughed. Seems not possible to know. Sure, they were as well surprised that I never have had Malaria. The doctors in Switzerland highly recommended (or was it an order?) to take every day Malaron as prevention. Unfortunately Malaron is not only expensive (too expensive for anybody who has to pay it him/herself) but I was told by several people it is not good at all for the liver. So, while I am in Lusaka, I don’t take them any more. However, whenever I go to Kawambwa I take them. Now, thinking a little bit more about it, I am not sure if it makes sense. First of all, I don’t think that the risk in Lusaka is smaller. Last week, when I went out with Doreen (see blog on “anti-alc” phone function) there were a lot of Mosquitos and they just love me (reason why I was having a doubt)… Yes I can put repellent in my bag and take it like the camera everywhere with me but from time to time it is nice to look not like a Safari tourist (long trousers & shirt) but to wear just what ever I like. Having a normal life means as well to wear what you like, to stand in front of a mirror and to see a nice girl and not a stupid Musungu tourist. Ok, with other words, if you want to have a normal life, than there is no 100% Malaria protection (and by the way, friends of mine, did do all the protection stuff and still got Malaria). Taking the Malaria pills a full year in addition is for sure not the best thing for my body either. So what? Mosquitonets, yes, can’t sleep without it anyway. No shorts when I am traveling to the region, yep, that is more adequate anyway. Repellent in the evening in Lusaka if I go out, yep, I can do that. Taking 3 pills a day, during 3 days and feeling terrible, yep, I can do that if I have really Malaria. Going to the hospital and getting a test (for free!), yep, I can do that when ever I have fever. Taking on pill every day for the whole year. NO! The rains are just starting. I am going to observe if with the rain there are also more mosquitos. If it’s the case, I might take the pills during the rainy season (January seems to be the worst). Well we will see. For the moment, I am in my bed, sweating for other reason. Too much work is not healthy either!!!

18.11.07 (thoughts about relationships for once not between the lines)
Hm, some years ago, I could have imagined myself living in a monastery and meditating a lot. Today, right now, I know that I would go crazy&mad. I highly admire does who manage to live (and not only pretend) in celibate. How do they survive?

I am still in Mporokoso, it’s Saturday evening and I am frustrated. The last 3 days I spend more or less in my small guesthouse room. Mainly because I was sick (I am still coughing) but also because I have to prepare for the workshop which starts tomorrow. Full week in front of us and my batteries are not charged at all. Yesterday, I went with Ken and Chirambo to the billiard place, watched for a while but did not play. It’s not going out, traveling, movies,… or other entertainment that I am missing. There is a TV in my room, ok just one channel (Zambian National Broadcast – the famous one), but I haven’t watched a single minute (oui oui ma colloq lointain, t’as lu correctement!) What I miss right now (beside that I am waiting for dinner) is flirting and socialising! Oh, not that I get no attention here. There a plenty of guys who would be interested to go out with a Musugu girl. However, as there are not a lot I am interested in. Well, have to admit that I haven’t met a lot of people yet. Mainly because I am working too much. (From whom did I get the workaholic-virus??? Ella or Claudia???). But there other reasons too:
1. Zambians are not very tall (any surprise on that one???)
2. Zambians don’t want just to flirt, but I don’t want to create wrong expectations ( I don’t want to get married in Azerbaijan neither in Zambia – if at all anyway!)
3. 25% HIV rate freaks me out!

So what to do? Praying??? No wonder that many expats drink a lot and/or take more risks (concerning relationships and sex) than they would at home. Looks like I am going to gain some kilos here. Good that shops here to not have chocolate! However, I might buy LOTS of chocolate when I am back home around Christmas/New Year. Ok, I go and check if dinner is ready.

27.11.07
now I am back in Lusaka. More options, more people, more freedom and I feel nearly at home. Lots of work (6.30am to 8pm) but as well moments where I meet lots of people. Networking, socialising, dancing,... the social butterfly is a lot more in his element here in Lusaka than up in the North and I can buy chocolate here if things are really bad ;)

goodnight hugs
mirr

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I dont think you got your workoholic habbits from me dear Miriam. Maybe Claudia since both of you speak a common language that I have no clue of...

Your writings always make me smile. I loveeee the stoleeee about the dinneleeee and the local accenteee....so funneeeee
love
ella

Anonymous said...

I dont think you got your workoholic habbits from me dear Miriam. Maybe Claudia since both of you speak a common language that I have no clue of...

Your writings always make me smile. I loveeee the stoleeee about the dinneleeee and the local accenteee....so funneeeee
love
ella

Website counter