18 January 2008

back from Kabwe


After 5 days in Kabwe, I am back in Lusaka. The house is empty. Doreen with her family has moved out. She has found an apartment somewhere. I am missing Tinta, but it is also nice to have a place that belongs to me. My stuff in the kitchen, my mess,... just exactly the way I left things. Nothing changed, nothing moved, nothing disappeared,... I am getting old!!!

Switzerland, Azerbaijan and Zambia are sooooooo different. When ever I have to leave home for the other home, I have difficulties. I don't like to say "good by" and arriving in the "other" home is always a shock. As I can't live in several places at the same time, I submerge in the reality where ever I am. Take it as normal, adapted a 100% and forget how different it is somewhere else. Leave behind some parts of me, take over some new (or former) parts. Like cloths. Its not practical to run around in shorts when its cold... And than, when I am back in another home, step by step I submerge in that reality, find things that I nearly forgot, enjoy discovering them until they become normal again... Strongly enough, I have the feeling that I am becoming more and more myself at the same time. That has maybe nothing to do with the moving between worlds, but is just a normal thing, when you get older.

Didn't write a lot in the last weeks, and now that I have time (took off today), my thoughts come faster than I can write. My fingers move over the keyboard, try to catch some of the pieces and fragments.

Kabwe. One hour and a half away from Lusaka; when it is not raining. The university and the campus are another 20 minutes outside the town. We, 6 Coach Trainers and me, stayed there for 5 days. 2 days travelling and 3 days workshop. As said before, we were asked to train 150 people. lots of work and I am happy that its behind us. Workshop itself was actually ok. The Coach Trainers are now at a point where I can step back more and more. My job was more to make sure that logistics, materials,... and all that worked out fine. Made some evaluations, some feedback and intervened nearly never. Was in some sessions present too support the facilitators. Played a little bit the police. The participants were all still teenagers... so had to ask some of them to wake up, to use the chairs not as beds,... but in general the workshop went well. What exhausted us was food, water and the accommodation. Water not treated (we had all stomach problems), food just BAD (nshima with beef-fat & bones and no vegetables) and "scary" bathrooms. Well, it seems that for the others the bathrooms was ok. I had a shock at my first visit of the facilities. A rat was trapped in the toilet, looked at me with big scared eyes. Somebody had used the toilet regardless the rat (our team was not the only one with stomach problems). I started at the rat for a while, not understanding what I saw. It was just to sur-un-realistic. A little bit under shock I went to another toilet, where I discovered a dead rat in the water. After that I tried to avoid those facilities as much as possible. Taking a shower there was not really what I understand as relaxing nice moment after a long working day. Rats, no curtains, lots of people going in and out,... I am getting old, I need more comfort. 10 years ago, I would have found it an adventure. I still can't forget those eyes. I am sorry that I didn't help that rat out of her trap. Poor little thing.

Was told that in the bush they trap rats with similar kind of water holes. Make a hole, but some plastic in order that the water stays and on top a stick with meat that turns. The rat falls and becomes dinner... still can't forget those eyes.

Last night I sat at the bar at Kamboca lodge. The bar replaces a little bit "Forest bar". I just miss the pool table a lot. It is a small bar under one of those typical thatch roofs, and one side open. It is a comfortable place, even when its raining. Behind the bar a big TV. Football, news or MTV. Most of the time same people hang out there. Men that enjoy having a beer after work and a discussion with some friends. I am a little bit a stranger, but well I get used to it. Last night the discussion was about witchcraft. Accused as a witch you still can go to prison in Zambia (if you survive the Mob). The discussion was about who believes in witchcraft and who not (small majority). Lots of strange examples where used to support the arguments. A man that turned into a crocodile (half of the body), a head teacher that runs through the night as a horse,... difficult to give you a full description of the discussion. Why don't you just come over to Zambia and have glass of wine, water or what ever you want, with me at Kamboca lodge?

I am tired. Siesta time :) Tonight, I am invited by a German girl to have dinner at her place. Indian food. Sounds great, tell you more soon.

big hug

No comments:

Website counter