08 February 2009

news from Iris Garden

I agree, it has been long time... well, here some news!

I am sitting right now at the Pool of a place called "Iris Garden". Lucky and Precious are swimming, making a much more noise than this place is used... well, they are kids! From the grill the smell of meat, my feets in short cut soft grass. Sun is shining and I only see somethin on my laptop thanks to the "Umbrella". Thanks also to Iris Garden that they have not protected their Internet and that I have access for free. Internet for free somewhere in the middle of nowwhere. We are travelling today back to Lusaka. Kabwe is something like 70km behind us, Lusaka another 70km in front of us. We were in Mpima, were the BMI (the organisation I work for) has to "volunteers" working on a farm. The farm belongs to the Mpima seminary (Catolic Church) and all Priests stay there for at least 2 years. The farm is just behind de seminary, a beautiful place. Lots of threes, all kind of plantes and space. On Friday, Stefan showed us the farm. Great for the kids (I have seen it twice before at other occasions). We had a long walk through the forest in the evening, it was just beautiful.

Saturday, we went to Kapiri. There Matutu and I have started building a lodge for truck drivers. Matutu had prepared some fresh cooked maize for us. The maize actually was taken from the maize growing on our plot. At the moment, two rooms are build and as we do not have yet the permission to build more (lodge instead of house), they are preparing the blocks. Blocks need to be watered regulary. Rain season is therefore a good moment to do them. Less water to carry and even in our absence the blocks get wet (workers might not do it...)

After that we went to Mishikishi. Its a mission 45minutes after Kabiri. The BMI might send volunteers to that place, as the mission needs help on the farm and the attached Training Center, which is closed at the moment. I woke up (at least he looked sleepy) on of the Fathers and we had a visit. It looks not bad. Most of the infrastrukture is there. Contentwise I am not sure...

Close to Mishikishi starts a mud road that leads to a lodge. The land of the lodge is hugh. 2000 Hectars or more. There are 4 lakes, a lot of fish "pools" (smaller than a lake and only purpose is to produce big fishs...) We decided to go for a Game drive, as the Lodge has within its territory a lot of animals. The kids saw for the first time giraffs and loved them a lot (what else?).
Later close to a lake the car got stuck. 4WD doenst garantie that you get through everywhere, specially not in the rainseason. While Stefan, Rahel and the kids tried to get the car out, I started walking. to be honest I did not know where the lodge was or where I could find help... after an hour I reached the gate. Relieved I found out that the radio was not working and that I had to go to the reception (another 2km). Once I was there, they were not helpful at all. The only vehical that could help us, the game drive car, just had left and would be back only in 1h. I got some water at the bar and decide to rest and to think. You kind of get used to wait here, so 1h is not a big deal. Down at the lake (where I wanted to sit down) I meet Manfred. Manfred previously worked for SPW an organisation that has a cooperation with RTP. Lucky me!!! With him, 3 friends. At least Raj got introduced. I had heard that name before from Stefan and Rahel. A good friend of them and he had a good car... Zambia is small!!!

So in the end, we got the car out, not with Raj's car but with the Game drive car. We drove back to Mpima partielly in the night, but arrived safely.

So much about this weekend, I hope it gives you an idea how busy I am working and enjoying :)

big hug, I hope you are all fine, and lots of love
M

No comments:

Website counter