29 August 2006

a week later

Hi,

Got some complains that I have not updated my blog (thanks! That means you are reading that stuff!). Well, I did not want to put all my “up and downs thoughts” on the blog which are just part of the adaptation process and in many ways a little bit ridicules. In the last days I went from homesick (Friday evening for example) to “very happy to be here”. Moreover, I do not appreciate very much those expats that make a lot of jokes about the “stupid, bizarre,… Azeri things”. Temptation is big. Lots of things here are different and its easy to make jokes about.

Reading my last message, I can say that I feel a lot safer in the meantime. Of course its not really fun to walk home alone later in the evening, of course I miss my feeling of independence, but I think it is part of living in a different society. Baku is definitely a safe place and its great (if you have a curious partner) to walk around and discover. There are 1000000 of small shops with all kind of stuff.
We had for example great time on Sunday. Walking around in the old town, stopping every 10m because there was another picture we wanted to take… and than that view from the Maiden tower! My picture or brain-map from Baku became a lot clearer.

A lot clearer became as well what we are going to do in Imishli. Lots of reading, meetings and visits at some schools helped. It’s an ongoing learning process and sometimes I am a little bit impatient. You are not surprised?! ;) Anyway, I am looking very much forward to Thursday, when we finally travel to Imishli for a first visit. It’s a 3h travel and we will do it together with the donors (they arrived today).

We had a small training today with some teachers. It not only clarified what we are going to do, it confirmed as well my impression that I am not at the wrong place. I feel very comfortable speaking about games and sports and working together with other adults. Big difference to what I have experienced as a teacher in Switzerland. Different as well the experience of not sitting in some conference room and speak for hours. Finally I can apply my approach of “learning by doing”.

I have as well the confirming feeling that this is not just a good experience for me, but that sport&games are indeed a good tool for development. The IDPs here around Baku live in very difficult conditions. The games we propose can be really used, are something new, are welcomed,… and do make a (small) change.

Well so much for the moment, looks like I am right now on an “up”. Hihi. Well, not bad after a very long and intensive day. I am tired and it’s still soooooo hot. Think I need another shower. But today’s feeling is: yep I am at the right place.

Only thing I really miss: YOU, my friends! Love to get your emails (even though I have wet eyes each time) and I try to answer them as soon as possible. Here in Baku we have great access to internet. If ever you want to have a chat in the evening let me know. I have downloaded skype, but have to go to the office. Here in the apartment our line is a little bit to slow. Hey, I have even a camera on my laptop… and not at least: handy works, sms to 99%,…

Now I have a down. So quick it goes. Miss you

To end with good news. We went with some other expats for Basketball yesterday evening. Was great to play after a long day of meetings. The place was bigger than big Will put a picture as soon as possible online. We had lots of fun playing 2 : 2. Just outside they were burning some rubbish (like everywhere in AZ). Hope that plastic-burning smell gets out of my cloth and that it was not a 100% toxic… Other typical experience (I will get used to): light changed all the time during the two hours we played. Some electricity problems… However, most important was that we were able to play. Furthermore we met some people that are in AZ already for a while. Lots of tips an d lots of ideas what to do in Baku. Next weekend we might go to some beach (not too polluted?) and play beachvolley. Well, if the weather stays as hot, I might not get out of the water for beachvolley!!! On Saturday evening, I have met as well some Swiss. Now I am nearly an official member of the “Swiss club”. They organize some activities from time to time. But that’s all I know for the moment. I will of course let you know more ASAP

Kisses

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Not a lot of time to write this week, but just wanted to say that i miss you and that i'm happy to hear that you seem to be doing a lot better than last week!

Will be back online - so looking forward to chat again with you then.

LOL helena

Website counter