22 July 2007

Xinaliq

Some noises in the background, I think it is Ella, is she going to work? I am sooo happy that I can sleep in...

Good that I had a memo on my cell phone waking me up at 9am. Today is Monday, and I can not sleep in! Felt a sleep yesterday around 10pm (maybe later, maybe sooner), was soooo tired after a nice weekend away with Hash. However, before speaking about the Hash weekend I would like to post finally some pictures from the "Xinaliq & Qizil Qaya" weekend. A prove that all of you should have come to Azerbaijan during this year and visit me! It's just amazing beautiful (with the exception of Baku and Imishli).

The road to Xinaliq goes through the beautiful Cloud Catcher Canyon and some nice high valleys.


Xinaliq is pretty high up in the mountains.

Marc Elliot writes "Xinaliq rises like a prehistoric stone boat floating on a heavy sea of clouds. When the clouds clear the vista of surrounding peaks is breathtaking. The village itself is a steeply -stacked pile of 300 higgledy piggledy, rocky-grey homes. the flat roof of one house often forms the front yard of another on which men stand for hours staring, apparently transfixed by the dancing skyscrape. Colorfully-dressed women collect water and beat clean fresh raw wool at communal water sources..."


Well, some pictures might give you a better idea...



















































































































































































After the visit of Xinaliq we went for another 1hour car ride. Up and down the rocks! Marc Elliots writes on the map for this "road": danger when wet (we found out the next day!), nice views but tough

Our base camp was beautiful (see old blog). Qiyil Qaya a deception because of the clouds, but still a nice hike. Driving down was very "tough and dangerous" as it was raining all night...

hug
m

No comments:

Website counter