16 September 2007

My first Hash in Zambia





Even now after nearly 2 weeks in Zambia, I am still surprised and astonished to be really here. I could make pictures of nearly everything…and it still takes a moment in the morning until I am sure where I am. Today for example, I knew that I was in Zambia, but was surprised to be in the house in Lusaka and not at St.Mary mission where I stayed the last week somewhere in the north of Zambia…

Last Sunday, before leaving to the North of Zambia, I promised some details on the Hash here in Lusaka. Lot’s has happen in between. I have seen some parts of beautiful Zambia, but one thing after another. As I met lots of my friends in Azerbaijan at the Hash, I planned to join the Hash as well in Zambia. It happened that Paul’s Friend Trui stayed at our house on Friday and that she was the hare for the Hash on Saturday. Therefore, I started Hashing in Zambia as an Hare!

Early Saturday morning we went for breakfast, got the car and drove out of Lusaka. I enjoyed of course to see a little bit more of Zambia. Some of the trail we set straight through the fields (Bush!), but most of it was - due to private propriety - following the road. The parts on the roads, we did with the car. I sat in front of the car: holding myself with one hand and throwing “chalk powder” with the other. In the end, I was white all over, but it was a lot of fun sitting in front of the car (the only BUT, Trui was not driving fast enough in my opinion). We set the Hash in only 2hours! Ok, was maybe not best Hash ever, but still…

Afterwards we had lunch at the house where Trui stays on Weekends. There is even a small swimming pool (where I got rid of all the white stuff in my face and hair) and they have horses, dogs and cats. Live in Africa can be pretty comfortable and nice! After a short siesta the first Hashers arrived. That moment I missed very much the well known faces from the Baku Hash.
The group here needs a little bit to get mixed up: Too many old white man and young “local” woman… but well, I was told that that normally there are more people, but that many did not come because the Hash was at a different place than normally (in my understanding that should be a reason to come!). I might give it a second try, we will see.

I walked as usual with the walkers. They have made shortcuts most of the times. They did not even finish the hash, but instead went directly back to the house which was the ON IN). At least the runners followed the trail until the end. Rest of the Hash was like everywhere. Long circle-up, with all the normal stuff (hares, virgins,…), lots of beer and stupid songs (I am still not singing). I was asked into the circle tree times in a row (good that I do not drink beer!!!): For being a hare, as a newcomer and because others have been hare the first time they came to the Lusaka Hash, but never before just after 5 days being in Zambia…

Well so much about the Hash here for the moment. Let you know when I give it a second chance…

2 comments:

akafreshproduce said...

AWWWWWWWWEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

akafreshproduce said...

i'm supah pumped for you! cool shit. i definintely wanna visit.
-joe

Website counter