After two days, I - of course - do not know much about this country. Have just started to collect pieces of the “puzzle”, but I am far away from starting putting them together… here some of the pieces:
My first word in Njanga: Manzi (water). Now I just have to find out how they say water in the other ~ 70 languages used in Zambia. Have to get used also to the English here. Not always easy to understand. Will adapt. Already learned that it’s not 2 o’clock, but 14 hours.
Felt in love with Zambia on the way from the airport to our house. Just because of the trees. I just love them. I have no idea how they are called and why some of them have no leaves right now and why some of them start having flowers (it’s the hottest season right now). Is it more raining now? Is this the Zambian spring? Confusing, but beautiful and amazing.
People: lovely. All very friendly. (remind me in 3 month, when the cultural shock sets in!). Names, hm, easier than in Azerbaijan. In the office, I am working with Mara, Maria, Doreen, Geoffrey, Joe, Victor, Moses, January and some others.
Michele, t’avais raison. Je me suis fait pour rien des soucis en ce qui concern des habits noire. Biensure tout le monde ici porte des choses noir… je suis content que je pas pu resiste d en prendre mes affaires les plus prefere (qui sont comme vous savez: noir)…
Work: I start to have an idea what I am going to do here (end of 2nd day!!!) and it looks not too bad. Everybody (besides my and Paul, who leaves unfortunately in 3 weeks) is very new to RTP and very open on any new ideas. Proposed today to start creating an overview of activities, and everybody loved the idea. What a difference to Azerbaijan, where I had to convince everybody of the necessity… new for me as well: Meetings start with a prayer! (picture: office and RTP car)
Internet: wow, we have even wireless in the office!
Shopping: there is a big shopping centre. Pretty expensive and for sure not typical for Africa / Zambia. But they have everything I could need, including camping stuff and nutela! Have to check whether they have as well “Elmex” and sun cream. If yes, I will feel very foolish (brought massive amounts with me from Switzerland).
Lusaka: have only seen 3 streets and have not been in the centre yet.
Advertising: love them! I will make lots of pictures. They just amazing. You will see what I mean as soon as I have some pictures. When I look at them I realize that I am really in Africa. That I am really in a place called Zambia. That this place really exists and that it looks like on pictures you have seen in newspapers, movies,… amazing.
Will I wake up tomorrow again in Zambia? I am not sure yet, if this is reality…
Love,
mir
No comments:
Post a Comment