hey! I am back in Lusaka, after a week in Kawambwa.
Went with the team after a the planning sessions for 2008 in Lusaka to Kawambwa. Anna the project coordinator did not join us in the last minute as her best friend passed away. We left late on Friday, as some stuff had to be picked up at some shops which open only at 9am... so much about being organised and thinking ahead ;)
As we left late, we stopped in Serenje for the night. Small town, that lives to some extent from trucks stopping there. Close to the main road the town is dirty and the atmosphere not very nice. However, we stayed at a Lodge a little bit further into town. Houses / shops along one road. We found a bar called "cafe de la restaurant" where we got as well some Nsima for dinner. Congolese music on TV. maybe the owner is from Congo, which would partly explain the name of the place. The bartender however could not explain it to me. They did not have a big choice (as usual outside Lusaka) of drinks, but to my surprise they had some nice red win. A glass of red wine made my Friday evening looking not too bad. The pool table later one, made it a perfect Friday evening. The table was in some kind of shop, there was a "music box" with some Zambian songs and many of the hits I know from Azerbaijan. Together with Chirambo (driver), I lost 5 of 6 times against Ken (Project Supervisor) and Wajenda (Project Assistant). I was happy! Nicest thing my bed. Beautiful mosicito net and a warm shower. Small and perfect room. well, pretty expensive too. 150'000 kwacha (40$). A lot of money! (Nsima with Fish for lunch costs 10'000 Kw)
Well, I kind of missed that small nice room in Kawambwa where I stayed in a guesthouse for 60'000 Kw a night. The price includes: broken windows, bathroom without water (incl. the toilets!), guards who brings water (warm if wanted) in the morning and in the evening, electricity cuts most of the time (whole Kawambwa not just the guesthouse of course), cockroaches in the size of the once I met in Thailand (Carol do you remember that place???!!!), view on the storeroom of the guesthouse (dusty old car and all kind of garbage),...
We left Serenje at 4.30am in the morning and arrived around lunch time in Kawambwa on Saturday. I was tired and I stayed more or less the rest of the day in my lovely room. Got only out for lunch (village chicken and Nsima) and for dinner (Fish and Nsima. The village chicken was just unbelievable uneatable. must have been a small old chicken that had been running all its live (that why it got old!). Anyway, Fish was nice and I found a nice other place in "town" for lunch. No chicken the rest of the week. Just Fish and sometimes eggs, but always with Nsima (maize porridge).
Sunday I went for a walk, bough some water and other stuff and found out where the office is. I like to be independent and to walk to work and home. The reason actually why I stayed at that guesthouse (it has no name, there is just a big sign for "Maximum" condoms at the door) is that I can walk. St. Mary's (mission) where we stayed the first time is a little bit more comfortable but to far away.
Hm, there is lots more I would like to write down, but it is 6pm, its starts getting dark and I do not have the lights for the bike with me. Have to hurry up... but from Monday on, I will live in the house behind the office...
Big hug to where ever you are. I promise to answer soon your emails! lots of love
Mirr
27 October 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment