23.10.07 Pieces of stories
Li Gong and her movies. My life in Kawambwa is half in China and half in Zambia. My favorite movie so far of the 16 movies on the dvd “Yhou Yu’s Train”. Don’t ask me why. Watch it.
Paul left a book, story by story I am going through it. 28 stories of people, living in different countries in Africa, all affected in one way or the other by HIV / AIDS. Well written, not falling into the pity trap and gives not only food for thoughts but as well additional information on the HIV/AIDS and different countries in Africa (several stories are from Zambia).
Doreen’s Cousin’ husband died last week because of HIV
Electricity in Kawambwa is a random thing. Working on the computer, watching movies, charging my cell phone, having candle light dinner, all is following the on and offs, somebody somewhere decides.
Every time I go to the bathroom I am watching out for the big bug that was living there on Saturday, when I arrived. I am not a fan of bugs, especially not when they are nearly two thumbs big, but it was kind of nice to share the room with somebody.
Every morning the guard brings hot water. It reminds me a little bit Cambodia. The small bathroom of the family where we (Carol, Julien and me) stayed three nights. Here as well I use a small plastic thing to pull water over me. Small but nice difference, the water is hot this time.
Meet last weekend (10 days ago) two girls on Saturday. A Swedish and a Zambian girl. They told me a long story of how their things got stolen on Friday at a concert and how the thieves have started getting in contact with them using their cell phones and calling brothers, bosses, friends. I still don’t know why exactly the thieves called. Seems that they wanted more money. Anyway, the girls meet one of them. He came to prove his innocent (he just had found the walled or what ever he had) with an police officer. Zambian police officers are not as corrupt as in Azerbaijan, but there are some problems as well. However the girls as well asked a police officer to come with them, and the thief got arrested. Some how they found most of their stuff during Sunday and another person got arrested. I haven’t met them yet, I only got bits and pieces by sms and via Heidi (she was with us in Kafue National Parc) which I met last week at Yoga. From Heidi I know that they did not get back all the stolen stuff. It seems that the police knows who is THE thief, but that they can not go and get him because his is living in a part of Lusaka where not even the police dares to go.
I finally made it to my first Yoga lesson. After the long and emotionally exhausting management meeting on last Tuesday in Lusaka, I needed something else than staying in the office until dark. Yoga. Hm. Was good and some of the exercises were challenging. However a lot of it felt just like a stretching. Most of the participants were woman. The session takes place in the alliance francaise half outside. It’s a nice and calm place in the evening. I felt a lot better afterwards, I could feel a real difference. If I have time I am going again.
Still haven’t made it to Basketball. Not even here in Kawambwa. Played at least some pool with the Wajenda, Kenny and Chirambo (RTP team). The tables and the balls here a smaller than I am used from Azerbaijan, but I have quite a lot of months before me to get used to it. Here in Kawambwa we go to a place where there is nothing else than one table and two benches. There is actually not really place for anything else. The walls are tall, yellowish and there is no fancy billiard lamp over the table. If you want to drink something you have to go next door.
Since I arrived in Kawambwa I eat (like the first time here) twice a day Nshima. Chicken or Fish and every time some vegetables. Have found a nice place for lunch called “nice bite”. Treated the three boys of the team today. The project coordinator, Anna, is still in Lusaka. Her best friend died on Friday surprisingly. Her baby is just 5 weeks old.
I am surprised to see how quickly I loss my fears and I adapt to a place. While on the first day (ok, I was as well a little bit tired from the long journey) I enjoyed to stay in my room and did not really feel safe to walk around in the guesthouse, I walk now on my own home from the office, with Laptop and other valuable things on my, even in the evening and after playing pool.
Walking home at nights is beautiful. Right now the moon is getting full. More than half of its is shining very clearly and delights my way. There are no streets lights in Kawambwa (and even if, most of time there is no electricity). I got used to walk home (or drive home with the bike) in the dark. Without artificiall light you realize what a difference the moon can make. Remember when I wrote how it feels to drive home with the bike. Well, that is only true when there is no or nearly no moon.
Weather: is nicely warm. I do not miss autumn, winter or bad weather a single moment. Believe me! I would not call it hot, after the hot temperatures in Azerbaijan, where even writing on the computer is an effort that lets you sweating like crazy. In addition, in the evening and during the nights temperatures cool down and there is often a fresh wind. On Saturday afternoon there was a impressive thunder storm. Lots of wind and later as well rain, flashes and thunder noise. So impressive that I packed my stuff, in order that I could leave the guesthouse quickly if necessary. Well, that afternoon, I was in general a little bit afraid. I am a cancer and it takes me always a little bit (1 – 2) days before I feel comfortable with the new environment. Went for a short shopping walk on Sunday, to check out how far the office is and to get some drinks and biscuits. Nothing happened and everything is pretty close to the guesthouse (actually that’s was the only reason to stay here in the beginning instead of staying at St Mary’s, the place we stayed the during the workshop in September).
Doreen’s daughter, how stays with Doreen and the Maid with me, is still afraid of me. She knows me know for 3 weeks, but my white skin is still too scary. When ever I get to close, her Maid or Doreen have to carry her. I got once a hug, but I think that was an accident. She does not even really talk with me. When we come home from the office and I ask her how she is, than I get in the best case a “fine”. If anybody is asking her what is wrong, than she says with her little voice “I am scared”. Feels strange, but I don’t take it personal. I just hope she gets used to me.
Close to our house is a polo place. Yep, not pool, but polo. When ever I pass by, I enjoy watching the horses. I have never been at a pool game and haven’t made it yet on the weekend. Seems an odd and somewhat colonial thing. Nevertheless, I am curious and hope that I make it at least once during my stay here in Zambia. I might not have an other occasion to watch a polo game anyway.
Haven’t made it yet again to the hash. Tried once, but arrived to late and everybody had already left (with cars). They usually meet at the “Moth” club. A private club / pub that was originally a place where UK veterans met. Since most of the veterans are not around anymore it became more open. I had a look inside when I missed the Hashes. Brrrr, another colonial left over…
Went to the bakery today. Wanted some donates, but they had non. No electricity. So I bought a bread. Read a sign saying that you can have the bread as well sliced. Found it a good idea for the office so asked for sliced bread. Hey, no electricity… not possible
Chirambo bought some chicken today and asked us what is “dressed chicken” as he got some “undressed” chicken. Both is weird to me, but maybe some English speaking friend outside Zambia can help us with that (you?!?) Just imagine a dressed chicken (jeans, t-shirt). Fun isn’t it. Is an “undressed” chicken an naked chicken? How can a chicken be nacked? Anyway.
Tomorrow is independence day. Big deal I was told in the rural regions of Zambia. Well Kawambwa is definitely not urban, so I am looking forward to a different day. As RTP we support some of the tournaments ongoing tomorrow, have to be there at 8am. Its after midnight now. Time to arrange the mosquito net and sleep a little bit. Will I dream of Zambia or will I sit in a train in China?
28 October 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
i love this post!!! good to read you again! kisses
Post a Comment