08 November 2007

surprise

hi,
as you can see from my blog last night, things do not go well at the moment. not well at all to be honest. However, I had a nice surprise today and a reminder why I am here.
Went with one of the Coach Trainers to Chelston to monitor and evaluate their "Red Ball Child Play" sessions. We know that four of them wanted to be evaluated and we were wondering HOW the two of us can do this. We were thinking maybe if they have two sessions. When we arrived there just Thomas (one of the coaches) was already there and no kids. I was not sure if I was happy or disappointed. Were we too late? Did they cancel the sessions? or? Rain? or?

Well no, the kids were on the way. The school has no play ground itself, so the kids have to walk 10 minutes to the play ground. Thomas told us that there was no time for having two sessions. Hm, we called Cecilia the other coach trainer from Kamanga and send the car to pick her up. While the car left kids, coaches and teachers arrived. I did not dare to believe my eyes. There were at least 200 kids and 7 teachers!!! Well, we were lucky that only 3 of them had been at the last workshop, because we would just not be able to evaluate at the same time 7 teachers... They started playing and Amos and me, we were walking between the 3 groups until Cecilia came. The session I assessed was not great, but acceptable and I am just amazed about the motivation of that coach (he had organised the whole thing already the day before!!!!!!!!!! this was the second time the kids of the school came out to play!) In Azerbaijan, this kind of event was cald a "Play Day"!

At the end of the sessions it started raining, so everybody was rushing back to the school. On the way I had a chance to talk to the coaches. They just love the program. We gave them feedback (their first) and agreed of having a second evaluation next week (well, actually without me, as I am going to travel again to Kawambwa).
They said that now other teachers in their schools (3 schools together) are interested to become coaches. Thomas told me as well how he uses some of the games during his "normal" lessons and how the kids love it. Their head teachers seem to be very enthusiastic about it as well. Wish I could upload some of the pictures I made, right now, but unfortunately the cable is in my office. No way that I am going there!! I know its only around the corner (not even 100m) but no thanks!!!

200 kids smiling, running around, having fun, playing,... that is a lot of positive energy! and if the theory of the butterfly is true (a single butterfly can change world weather) than the 200 kids changed the world today
:)

Yep, I am dreamer (so what?)
lots of love!
Mirr

2 comments:

la fée verte said...

and lots of love to you as well !!!! and a big hug to make you feel better!

miss you my friend!

Anonymous said...

Ok girl, so when I ead your previous posting I got really sad, sad for you but also for those poor people. I hope the COach Trainer with malaria managed to find some malaria pills and is feeling better. My parayers are with her. Now that I read this one, I am feeling much better and more optimistic. I also feel like my trpobles are such miniscule compared to what some people around the worl d have to go through. SO I have made a decision that before I complain about anything, I will take a deep breath and think about all those people in Zambia who are so unfortunate...
love and please keep writing.
E

Website counter