04 September 2006

Wedding Party

Stayed at home on Friday (thanks to my stomach) and missed a good Expat party. At least I had an invitation for weeding on Saturday.
On Saturday, I found myself instead of buying some nice cloth in an Indian/expat drugstore, and please forgive me, I loved it! Spend a hell of money for not a lot, but found all the food I love. Starting from the stuff I buy in Geneva at the “elefant” aux grottes. The thing you just can warm up and have a nice Indian meal. But also the Chinese noodles, which cost even in that store not a lot. The best and most expensive thing was the “Pesto”. Same brand like in Manor! The world is small and sometime this makes me VERY happy. After that very expensive shopping, I went happily home. No taxi driver, no other comments were able to make me feel strange. I just had bought the stuff I love to eat, felt a little bit like being home…

K, girlfriend of my Geneva Azeri friend, pick me up at 4something and we went to the brides family’s flat. We arrived quite early; everybody was very nervous, still getting reading. I got some explanations of the traditional stuff that happened a little bit later. The future husband and his family came with musicians, gifts and all that.
On the way to the restaurant: I realized that having a small party in a car is a bad idea. Had my first accident (hopefully the last) here in Azerbaijan. Nothing happened to us (just small shock) but the driver and his girlfriend could not come to the wedding, but spend most of the rest of the day at the police office,…. The brother of the bride gave us a lift and he drove like crazy. Crazy for an Azeri that means something!!! Has anybody seen the movie “taxi”? or any other movie were a car takes not in to account any rules on the street??? And all that in order to catch up with all the other cars. In the beginning I found it kind of fun, but with the time I just tried to foresee the next turn to the right or left… and of course we arrived before everybody else and of course I was just happy to get out of that car…

On the tables, so much food that you would not have been able to tell in the end of the evening if people had eaten anything or not. And they brought in more and more and more and more… and every table had somebody that was serving and running around when we wanted to stand up or sit down (chairs back and forward), which happened often, as we went dancing every 10 minutes. Lots of Azeri live music (fun but too loud), lots of talking by the master of ceremony (I did not understand a word of course), lots of Azeri dancing (hope I can upload my small movie!), 2 cameraman all evening, sending everything life to the 3 TV,… Arrived not very late at home, around 1h, but can not remember how quick I fall asleep. KO! Thanks Azerbaijan!

No comments:

Website counter