My dear friends, I am just coming back from a reception at the Swiss consul’s house. Nice big garden, swimming pool and… lots of Swiss flags all over the place. Have not been inside the big house, we were just sitting outside on the veranda. Enough tables for 79-80 persons, a bar, a buffet,… really nice evening. It’s nice to be member of a small country and to get invited to receptions when ever an ambassador decides to visit the country. In Zambia, similar to Azerbaijan, there is no Swiss embassy. The ambassador is at the embassy in Zimbabwe, but from time to time he visits the other countries he is responsible for (beside Zambia, I think he mentioned Malawi and Angola).
As it is more fun to go with somebody together to a reception (specially when you don’t know anybody) and as I always like to share good food with friends, I invited Doreen to come with me today. In Azerbaijan it was Michael (do you remember our search for the red house?!?). It seems to be against the protocol to invite “just” a friend. In Azerbaijan people were surprised that Michael and I were “just” co-workers and flatemates. Same happened I think today. I had 2 nice short discussions with the ambassador. The first one by accident: I was speaking with a cotton industrial at the bar (where else??) and the ambassador came to get a drink and started a discussion on Zimbabwe with that guy. (Sorry don’t remember the name). Later on, the ambassador came to ask me what I am doing in Zambia and I told him about RTP and asked as well some questions on how life is in Zimbabwe. When saying thanks&goodbye, he urged me to get in contact soon and to send some more information on RTP. He’s final words to me, made me smile the whole way back home. “Where is your friend? Oh, she already left? Please tell her my best regards. You know I am a very open minded man”. Not that I really mind (I actually do not care at all) its just fun. Must be the protocol, if you come with somebody, it means it is your partner. Logic, isn’t it? Ok, now I am the lesbian girl that works in Zambia in some organization that does sports. Hm, I should start playing football that would fit the image perfectly (Zambia is a place where life must be very difficult for homosexuals. Its not accepted at all!)
I had a really nice evening (thanks again to the hosts!), met some nice new people, exchanged some phone numbers (why do I still have no b-cards????) and learnt a lot about Zimbabwe and Zambia. And most important I came home with a big smile (and I had Tiramisu!!!).
Good nights my beloved friends. Sleep well!
05 November 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Welcome to the 'club' Miriam...Although I think you were 'assumed' to be part of the Triumvirate club in Az anywyay ha ha...It's always that way, if you are a successful woman, good at sports, and don't take 's---t from anybody especially men, you are assumed to be a lesbian. It doesn't matter that you may have a husband and kids and all of that. It is all assumed to be a front...but that's fine. I don't mind it actually. I take it as a compliment. Love
E
Post a Comment