10 March 2010

25 5/7

hi there!

Thanks to a friend I know now that today I am "25 5/7". A lot better than 24+ but in the end it doesn't mean anything anyway. The baby comes when it wants.

Yeah, now you know one of the reasons why I have been silence all these last months. Other thoughts, lots of work,.. and always a little bit hesitant to write about "very personal" issues on a blog. But how and what else could I write about, if my thoughts are only turning around babys, family, pregnancy, relationship,...?

To answer some of the questions:
Translation of 25 5/7: 25th week and 5 days
Boy/girl: we dont know
Names: we dont know
Place of birth: Zambia
Date: approx. 20.06.2010 (according to the same friend, THX K!!!!)
Location: privat clinic (CFB), expensive and hopefully safe. Well, so far, I feel ok going there, even though they were not able to calculate an "exact" date.

Decisions: 1) no waterbirth, in June it is too cold in Zambia. 2) Not in Switzerland: too far, too expensive, and M, L and P would not be able to come with me.

And for those who think that it was an easy decision to "give birth" in Zambia (where millions of other women gave birth before me). Here some food for thoughs:
1) most rich / goverment people here in Zambia use hospitals in South Africa and Botswana.
2) Lifetime Risk of Maternal Mortality in
Sweden: 1 in 29'800
Austria: 1 in 16'000
UK: 1 in 3'800
USA: 1 in 2500
Russia: 1 in 1000
Iran: 1 in 370
India 1 in 48
Pakistan 1 in 31
Zambia 1 in 19
Afghanistan 1 in 6
3) Infant Mortality Rate (per 1000 Live Births)
Sweden: 3
Austria: 6
UK: 5
USA: 5
Russia: 18
Iran: 35
India: 67
Pakistan: 83
Zambia: 108
Afghanistan: 165

Numbers that show the realitiy of the 80% of women in this country... and make me realise how privileged, rich,... I am. I have a choice, I m member of the most expensive clinic in Lusaka, I have access to information (money to buy books, internet,...), friends of mine are (swiss) doctors, I have an insurance, an employer who pays not only 4 months maternity leave, but also all the medical costs, a car to get to the clinic,...

so much for today. A lot of work waiting for me. We are shifting office,and than soon: friends are coming, co-worker from switzerland is coming, 2 workshops with partner organisation, 1 workshop just for BMI, closing of the guesthouse and we started building the "slap" of our future house.

Big hug, hope you are fine!
M

2 comments:

la fée verte said...

Wow that means..... only about 3 more months to go!!! My lovely M's gonna be a mummy :D

As for the second part of your post - I hope it was not supposed to be reassuring for your friends!? Well, whatever the intention, I am now a bit extra worried for you and the baby. Hmmmprf

I am sure everything will go well and am pleased to hear that you are feeling comfortable with the service at your special clinic. But a bit worried anyways now after having read your statistics :(

To change subjects, saw that you are having some friends visiting. That's cool!!! Are they coming from Switzerland or elsewhere? Thinking if I can bribe them to take something down for you...

I miss you as always and am happy to see you back online. As regards your concern about what to write on the blog, I of course love it to be full of personal details, but I guess it depends on how many people you have given your blog address too and who they are. One option is always to set your blog as private and then allow access to those that you trust only.

Just a thought.

Big hugs to my little hippo :D

TMW said...

Hello Miriam,
WHAT? WHERE? WHEN? How I figured.
Bisous,
Tonne

Website counter